- The average male lion will weigh around 180 kg, while the average female will weigh around 130 kg!
- Male lions that have a darker mane tend to attract more female lions.
- A lion will rest for around 20 hours in the wild.
- Lions are the only big cat to have a mane, and only appears on mature male lions.
- Lions live for about 10-14 years in the wild, and can live for 20-25 years being held in captivity, but which is better? 20-25 years in a cage, or 10-14 years free?
- Skunks are in fact mammals.
- The skunks average lifespan while being in the wild is 3 years, and can live up to 10 years in captivity.
- They are crepuscular, the same as rabbits, ferrets, lions, etc, meaning they are most active at dusk and dawn.
- A skunks spray actually causes no real damage to its victims but it does in fact make them very uncomfortable as it can linger for days.
- A group of Skunks is actually called a surfeit!
- Most people would call Koala’s ‘Koala bear’s’, but Koala’s are actually no bears, and their correct name is in fact just ‘Koala’.
- Koala’s are marsupials, meaning their young is born immature and are developed further in a pouch.
- A koala can live for 12-14 years in the wild, but in captivity they can live for 16-20 years!
- Koala’s spend 18-20 hours sleeping during the day, and usually only come out for 4-6 hours at night, making them nocturnal.
- Koala’s usually don’t need to drink water, as they get all their water and extra nutrition from leaves that they eat.
- As you probably already know, the giraffe is the tallest mammal in the world, reaching heights of 5 m, and even their new- born babies being taller than most humans.
- Giraffes can live for 25 years in the wild, and even longer in captivity, but personally I would consider a full 25 years being free is a lot better.
- Giraffes actually have 4 stomachs, making them ruminants.
- One kick from a giraffe is enough to kill a Lion, so these mammals use their hooves for predators.
- Giraffes sleep for less than two hours a day, but might catch an extra few z’s during the day while standing.
- Rhino’s are herbivores, meaning they only eat vegetation.
- Rhino’s live up to 35-40 years in the wild, and up to 50 in captivity.
- Rhino’s are active mainly at night time.
- Rhinos rank among the most endangered species on earth, and its main predator being human! Although a Lion might try take a calf, and the hyena is an even bigger threat, nothing beats the human yet.
- Rhino’s tend to hang out with birds rather than each-other, as the oxpecker will usually sit on the rhino’s back and eat the bug which are on the skin, but they also call out when the Rhino is in danger.
KILLER WHALE FACTS
- The killer whale, or also know as an Orca, is actually a member of the dolphin family.
- The average age of a female is 50 years, while a male being only 30 years but can reach a maximum of 60 years.
- Orca’s tend to be very sociable animals that will travel in groups called pods, while will usually consist of 5 – 30 whales.
- These animals on average eat a whopping 227 kilograms a day!
- These animals are on top of the food chain, known as apex predators, Orca’s only hunter is mankind.
- There are approximately 20,000 species of butterfly’s, which are beautiful, colored, flying insects.
- An adult butterfly will only live on average about a month, while females will usually live longer than males its very unusual for a butterfly to live longer than a year.
- The only place a butterfly won’t be found is Antarctica, other than that, they are pretty much everywhere!
- As a matter of fact, butterfly wings are actually clear, and their color and patterns comes from a reflection of the tiny scales covering them.
- Butterfly’s can not hear, but they can feel vibrations.
Hope ye enjoyed these few facts I came across about wild animals, don’t forget to like if ye enjoyed, and follow for a lot more daily blogs on our animals! Thank you!